8.25.2007

Pac-10 Preview

I may live in the heart of SEC country, but I love Pac-10 football! It makes for some tiring days in the fall, waiting up until 10:30 to watch the Ducks play on TBS, but it's well worth it.

Here's how I see the year shaping up:

1. USC-The Trojans will suffer a single loss, when they visit Autzen Stadium to play the Ducks on September 27. They'll be tested at Nebraska and Washington, and will have their hands full with UCLA on December 01. Watch them roll up Notre Dame in South Bend. I think USC will go 11-1 and play for the national championship against Michigan.

2. Oregon-The Ducks will lose twice in 2007 (and Dixon will start, and play well). They'll play Michigan tough at the Big House on September 08, but they'll fall just short. Look for Cal to come in and sting the Ducks at Autzen on September 29. Aside from those losses, the Ducks will have a fantastic year, with a win over USC and a 10-2 record. Now, if Bellotti can just get us back to bowl dominance...

3. Cal-I'm stoked to see Cal whip Tennessee on September 01! When the Vols come to Strawberry Canyon, they'll see speed, speed and more speed. I think DeSean Jackson will open a lot of eyes this year on a national level, and Nate Longshore is a very good quarterback. They lose at UCLA and Colorado State and at home against USC. 9-3...

4. UCLA-The BYU game will be interesting on September 08. Dorell's team can play defense, and their offense is coming around. I see UCLA losing at home against Oregon and Notre Dame and losing on the road to USC and Oregon State. 8-4...

5. Oregon State-It'll be interesting to see how long Riley's quarterback platoon will last. Losing Sammy Stroughter will hurt, but the defense returns a lot of starters and is tough and physical and Bernard is a very good back. The Beavers drop the Civil War to the Ducks and lose at Cal, USC and Washington State. 8-4...

6. Washington State-Brink to Bumpus must be in full effect for this prediction to materialize, but I like the Cougars to get back to a bowl in 2007/08. They drop a game at Wisconsin on September 01, and lose at Oregon, USC and Cal, and at home against UCLA. 7-5...

7. Arizona-Is this the year we see the rejuvenation of the Desert Swarm defense? Not likely, but I like the direction Mike Stoops has brought the program in the last few years (remember when Arizona was good-back in the '90s?). Willie Tuitama is a great athlete and the Cats have ten starters back on defense. They lose at BYU, Cal, Oregon State and USC and at home against the Ducks, Cougs and Bruins. 5-7...

8. Arizona State-Give Dennis a year to attract his outlaws to Tempe and the Sun Devils will be back in the thick of things. From what I hear (Pete Prisco's radio show-he's an alumnus and writer for CBS Sportsline), the team is brutal and the offense is stagnant. They'll beat Stanford, San Diego State and San Jose State...3-9

9. Washington-I hate these suckers more than any other team in college football. As much as I've enjoyed them being down the last few years, it's better for Oregon football fans when the U Dub is at least decent. I think the program is in the right hands with Ty Willingham, and I expect that next year they'll be a player at the top of the standings. This year will hurt, though, as they play the nation's toughest schedule. They'll beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome and will beat Stanford on the road. I like them to win at Hawaii in the final game of the season. 3-10..

10. Stanford-Harbaugh's a character, and he did a great job at San Diego, but this will take some time to turn around. I think they pull an upset at TCU. That's it. Not a great year for The Cardinal. 1-11...

No one can say the Pac-10 doesn't play anybody. I look at these teams' non-conference schedules and I'm astounded by the quality of the opposition. The SEC is a tough league, and they do beat each other up, but so do these teams on the West Coast. Out here in Florida, it's all about directional schools-Middle Tennessee, Eastern Carolina, Western Michigan...what's that all about? I give Tennessee credit for tussling with Cal, but the rest of these teams are playing patsies...

No comments:

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...