10.30.2008

Market Update and Horror Theme Goodness

Sotto Voce is an intriguing zine. A new market, Issue One went live last week and I've been picking through the substantial index of offerings for a few days now. I encourage you to read some of the short fiction and poetry here and participate in the voting for the annual print anthology that the magazine will run.

I thought Nannette Croce's "The Foundations of Churchill" was particularly well written. Croce's atmospheric piece is a commentary on the shifting nature of safety and security in America. It's well paced and the narrator is perceptive, if a little ineffectual.

Also, I visited the horror section of the video store today and a question occurred to me: What's the creepiest original score out there in the world of cinema?

How about this one?



I don't care how much they bug me, I won't let our children join a creepy choir...

Or maybe this one?



What about this beauty?



Yeah! Here's another:



Of course, this is maybe the gold standard:



Any thoughts?


EDIT:

Whoa! Play them all at once and let it rip. That's...well, that's weird.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments on "Foundations." I've been shopping versions of that story for some time so I owe a debt of gratitude to SV for putting it out there. I've worked with online publications for several years and now publish a blog
zine writer. I'm glad I found you through my alerts and I'll certainly add your great blog to me Favorites.

Unknown said...

Oops, I forgot to mention that Emily Thorp, Managing Editor of Sotto Voce will be interviewed on my blog in the next week or so. If you're interested in submitting and wondering what she's looking for this is a great way to find out.

Kevin Cann said...

Ok they are all creepy. Now on to my thoughts. The Halloween theme has always scared the crap out of me (thanks to my brother). Lets say that your swiming at the beach and you hear JAWS? what are you gonna do? get the hell out of the water. I say they both tie for first place

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...