3.26.2010

Super News Flash: Cornell Can Play Basketball

Jeez! Just when you think things are starting to trend toward ridiculous in America, a man comes along and confirms it. Thanks Dan Shaughnessy for playing the stupid card on this column.

This article diminishes the fine school that Kentucky is. Look, those kids in the Ivy League can play basketball. I heard a long discussion of how this was a racial argument on the radio yesterday, and I don't see that in the column. What I do see is a little "underdog" worship at the expense of a fine academic institution. And I don't understand why these one-and-done players are so heavily castigated. I know the NBA is a private league and can determine its own rules, but the one-year of college rule is patently ridiculous. Look for still more Americans who would prefer to not attend college do what Brandon Jennings did and go overseas.

The parity in NCAA hoops renders just about any team capable of winning on a given night. That's certainly in evidence in this year's tournament...

2 comments:

Project Matt said...

My parents and I talked about healthcare in our 6 hour drive home from Atlanta yesterday and about how "health points" can modify my moms costs essentially.

Because she works for Blue Cross she can do an online assessment of her health taking such actions as counting steps, maintained body weight or losing weight, and even quitting smoking.

I think more importantly it is not asking if the premiums are "fair", but questioning if people are forced to pay into healthcare will they maintain their health better in general with more frequent visits. Most evidence suggests countries with single payer, or universal health care systems have citizens that visit the doctor more time per year then the average American.

I think this was a really important day for citizens, and more clear cut information like this on the benefits in the bill needs to be discussed in the media rather then how to repeal legislation passed by Congress.

Daniel Powell said...

Thanks for the reasonable and clear comment! I agree with you that it's an important day for American citizens, and my hope is that it will lead to a paradigm shift in how we treat illness. I think a focus on well-care and not sick-care will, over the course of time, reduce costs and create a better standard of living in this country.

Thanks again for dropping by, and take care...

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...