9.15.2010

The Critics, the Monsters, and the Fantasists

I'm swimming in so much rich literature at the moment that I'm a bit overwhelmed. Peter S. Beagle's short story "Sleight of Hand" is a work of beauty. The story's postulate engages our concepts of sacrifice; it deals in spirituality and investigates the depths of human connection. Beagle's economy in phrasing--his ability to characterize and advance plot and really keep the tale moving--is a fine illustration of narrative craftsmanship. The story's plot is beyond melancholy, focusing on the kind of everyday tragedy that tears into our lives without prejudice, leaving in its wake a whole new way of being.

And at its heart, it asks a very simple question: What would you give for the ones you love?

Also, I'd like to include a link to an essay I've found both instructive and inspirational. Ursula K. Le Guin is one of my favorite writers, and her essay
"The Critics, the Monsters, and the Fantasists" speaks to me from so many different angles...

2 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

A great essay--thanks for the link.

Daniel Powell said...

Hi Aaron,

It is a sweet essay. Le Guin just runs through it: point, point, point, point...And I just love her comparisons throughout.

Hope all is well.

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...