3.04.2011

Sports...

Walked off the golf course yesterday (shot a 96) and dropped in for a pint of beer at my local watering hole. Holy cow but there was a ballgame on! I watched the Braves (the Chicago Cubs of the South) win in the bottom of the night against Detroit (the Chicago Cubs of the American League). Man, I love baseball. We're heading down to Kissimmee a week from today to watch my Orioles play the Astros. With the additions of Vlad Guerrero and Derek Lee, I like our offense this year. Thing is, if we want a winning season for the first time in thirteen years, we need our bullpen to show up.

I'm sad to see Mike Sims-Walker go, but the fact is that he dropped too many catchable passes. He flashed here at times, but the inconsistency was too much to overcome. He'd have a catch, then get shut out, then have nine for 153 and two touchdowns. This team hasn't ever been able to replace Jimmy Smith (who is a nice guy--I spoke with him a few times back when I exercised at GloboGym) and Keenan McCardell, and the search, it would seem, continues...

The reports on Oregon aren't pretty, but I'm not shook up about Coach Kelly and the integrity of the program. Recruiting is shady. The NCAA is shady. The whole system seems out of whack. As long as Oregon is operating within the guidelines (again--rules of a shady game made by a shady organization) then I'm fine with it. In Chip we trust...

And finally, congratulations to the UNF men's hoops team. I listened to their win against JU yesterday on the course, and it was our elation for those guys to finally get over the hump (JU whipped up on them 12/13 times before the UNF win)!

No comments:

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...