5.23.2012

Somebody Finally Did It...

An adult slapped an unruly ten-year-old kid that was chatting through a film and throwing popcorn at other patrons. 

Wow. 

Like Shawn Levy, I agree that whacking a kid is a bit too much. Still, that little punk needed to go home, and I certainly understand the slapper's angst. 

I recently tried to attend an 11:45 showing of The Cabin in the Woods. I chose that time specifically to eliminate the "talks-to-the-screen" crowd, which is typically made up of younger folks whose smart phones light up two dozen times an hour.

I figured that, because it was a school day (and the middle of the day, to boot!) the theater would be filled with adults.

Not so. There was a line of high schoolers stretching out to the parking lot. Seriously, how do these kids skip so much school? It's no wonder only one in two kids earn a traditional high school diploma in our city...

I'm fine with shaming idiots that can't behave in the theater. I'll buzz the tower with a piece of candy, or simply tell the offender to shut up. Folks don't like to be called out, but it's on them for inviting such ridicule.  

There is a system of etiquette in attending a film. Sure, you may have paid for your ticket like everyone else, but that doesn't give you the right to be a distraction for those around you.

Stop talking to the movie.

Stop talking on your cell phone.

Stop bringing your misbehaving children to films that aren't age-appropriate.

Stop being a jackass.

Sit still and shut your mouth and enjoy the film like the rest of the people that paid to listen to the audio without your hilarious wit augmenting the soundtrack...  

No comments:

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...