6.10.2012

Thoughts from the Sidelines...

A few observations on the world of sports:
  • It's June 10 and the Baltimore Orioles are still hovering near the top of the American League Eastern Division. I told myself that, if they were still competitive on June 01, I'd allow myself a glimmer of hope. I told myself that I'd stop being cynical, that I'd believe the this once-proud franchise that seems earnest but, frankly, awkward could pull it off. I honestly tried, but I can't seem to believe. Not with Mark Reynolds striking out all the time with guys on base. Not with Jake Arrieta's maddening inconsistency and the bullpen's obscene number of innings. I live what Buck has done with the team, but we're still a way's off, it seems, in that hyper-competitive division...
  • The Heat look good, and I'm excited once again about the NBA. While I doubt they guard each other straight up much in the finals, it'll be cool to see how Lebron and Durant match up in these games. I was so disgusted with pro hoops--first with the lock-out, and then with the moribund play of a bad Portland Trailblazers team--that I really haven't watched much this year. But I've tuned in for the playoffs, and they've been great--competitive, close games with fine performances. Lebron had the eye of the tiger in game six, and that was just a cool thing to see. He's finally fulfilling some of that late-game promise that we knew was in there, but he just never seemed to tap into...
  • I like Luke Donald, Tiger Woods and Dustin Johnson to play well next week in the U.S. Open. Tiger's Thursday round will be telling, as I think a good start is more important than usual for him. He's had a pattern of suffering let-downs after wins recently, so watch out if he finishes that first round under par...
  • I tried to watch hockey on the television, but I'm just not into it. Wish I could enjoy it more, but it's a sport I just don't enjoy unless I'm at the arena. Give me tennis or soccer any day...

No comments:

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...