5.20.2014

Congratulations to the People of Oregon!


I am so proud to have learned the news yesterday that my home state of Oregon is the latest to recognize equality in the institution of marriage! Since the United States Supreme Court ruled on the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013, seven states have recognized that same-sex marriage is a federally protected Constitutional right. 

Judge Michael McShane struck a particularly hopeful (and eloquent) note in the conclusion of his ruling:


I know that many suggest we are going down a slippery slope that will have no moral boundaries. To those who truly harbor such fears, I can only say this: Let us look less to the sky to see what might fall; rather, let us look to each other ... and rise.
Businesses from the Portland Trail Blazers to Nike to Columbia Sportswear voiced their support for the ruling, which sparked a flurry of marriages throughout the state.

I'll just second what the Portland Timbers noted in their tweet on the story:

Well done Oregon.


No comments:

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...