5.28.2014

Scallopcakes


I purchased a pound of Patagonian bay scallops the other day at Publix. I was interested in making cakes, but I couldn't find any recipes that piqued my interest, so I got down to business and improvised.

This recipe turned out great, and produced nine sizable scallopcakes. There was enough left over for Jeanne to bring a few to work the following day in her lunch.

Ingredients:

1 pound of bay scallops
1 lemon
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
2 egg yolks
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
enough olive oil to light-fry in a large skillet
salt and pepper to taste

This is pretty easy to make, and didn't take more than thirty minutes from start to finish.

Wash, rinse, and pat dry the scallops. Leave them in the colander in the sink.

Chop up your green onions and red pepper. Process them, along with the garlic, on low in your food processor, along with a dash of olive oil and the juice from half a lemon. Set this mixture aside.

Add the scallops and pulse eight or nine times. You want a nice texture here, with some lumps still in tact.

Take a big bowl (I love the stainless steel variety for stuff like this) and add the mayo, breadcrumbs, egg yolks, salt and pepper, veggies, and scallops. Fold everything together and fashion nine medium scallopcakes.

I like to cover these with plastic and put them in the freezer for thirty minutes. It helps them stick together in the pan. Add a little bit of olive oil to your skillet and cook on medium-high temperature for about four minutes a side. If you are working in batches, pre-heat your oven to 250 and put the first batches in the oven to keep warm.

I made this sauce to go with them:

1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon capers
1 tsp ponzu
Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste

This turned out really well, and is a good use for the bay scallops, which can become tough when cooked on their own. 



No comments:

February Reviews: Gray Mountain, John Grisham

  I enjoy John Grisham's books very much and I usually knock out a couple per year. I have read three so far in 2024, and his writing is...